The answer to the question of which option to choose among assistants for cleaning is to carefully study its characteristics. Let’s consider the most important parameters.
- Dimensions. As a matter of fact at many models of robots of vacuum cleaners they do not strongly differ. Usually it is a round disk with a diameter of about 30-40 centimeters and a height of about 10. But it is also necessary to consider the availability of a base with a dustbin in some models, for a one-room apartment this option will not work because of the massiveness of the base.
- Cleaning time. This parameter can be viewed from several sides. First of all it means, what time the vacuum cleaner will work before discharge and depends on the capacity of the battery. On the other hand, it is necessary to consider what time he spends on cleaning 1 square meter (usually about 1-2 minutes). These indicators determine the maximum harvesting area without recharging.
- The presence of side brushes. Due to its design, the robot vacuum cleaner can not thoroughly clean the debris along the walls and in the corners. In this case, the manufacturers provided for the installation of side brushes, which rake garbage to the main turbo-brush.
- Dust collector capacity. From this value depends on how often it will have to be cleaned. There are also options with a stationary dust collector of a larger volume, where the robot unloads garbage after harvesting. This function is not very popular among buyers, probably because such a dust collector occupies an additional area, and the robot can not always dock with it clearly, so that the garbage does not crumble.
- Wet cleaning. For safety reasons, robotic cleaning assistants are not equipped with a water tank (except for several models), so the robot vacuum cleaner with wet cleaning will work in polisher mode. That is, to the bottom of the robot is attached a special wet napkin, which during cleaning wipes the floor.
- Work on schedule. A very convenient feature that allows you to specify the days and times of cleaning in the settings. Choosing a schedule, you can pick it up so that the robot makes cleaning, when no one is at home, unnoticed for a person maintaining the purity of the house.
- Sensors of obstacles. All robots vacuumers are equipped with obstacle sensors, but there are varieties of them. The simplest and most common is the contact one. Faced with an obstacle, the robot changes its trajectory. To prevent shocks, which can adversely affect both the robot itself and furniture items, many models are equipped with infrared or ultrasonic sensors. The data from them help the robot calculate the distance to the nearest obstacle and adjust its trajectory.
- Building a map of the room. Often this parameter is provided by the presence of a navigation camera. This is a video camera that removes the ceiling during the movement. When obstacles are detected, information about them is stored in memory, and the next time the robot will move in accordance with the constructed map. In this case, the home helper will not be able to get lost and without problems will return to the base for recharging in a timely manner. The simplest robots, which lack this function, move around the room in a chaotic manner.
Important tips when choosing a robot vacuum cleaner
In some models, there is an ultraviolet lamp on the bottom of the robot. It is assumed that during cleaning with its help the surface will be disinfected. Given that for this time the continuous impact on one area should be at least 15 minutes, and the robot vacuum cleaner is delayed in one place at best for a couple of seconds, then no real benefit such a lamp will not bring. So do not believe this marketing move and overpay for a useless function.
Also, do not rely on power. All robots vacuum cleaners have a small suction power, and garbage collection is made to a greater extent due to the turbo brush. Therefore, in the parameters, most likely, the power consumed by the motor will be indicated. It is better to pay close attention to the quality of the assembly. Especially this applies to models that lack infrared and ultrasonic obstacle sensors. Constant collisions with furniture and walls can lead to disastrous results.
Robots without a built-in map system for the room have different navigation algorithms, which also determine how the robot will decide that the cleaning is over.
- The simplest version is implemented in the robots of the Chinese company xRobot. The principle of choosing the direction of motion in them is chaotic, there is no orderliness. The fact that it’s time to finish cleaning the robot decides when the battery starts to discharge.
- The same principle of navigation and models of the company iRobot. But the cleaning time is chosen based on the number of collisions. The logic is approximately the following: if the collision is small, the room is large and there is little furniture in it, if there are many of them, then the cleaning area is small. According to these data, the cleaning time is calculated. Such robots are poorly oriented in space and may not find their base.
- In the new improved models, special beacons are provided, which must be installed in doorways or at walls, depending on the principle of operation. Focusing on such beacons, the robot assesses the boundaries of space. The disadvantage of such navigation is that the beacons work on batteries, so they will have to be changed periodically. Of course, the best option is to buy a robot with a navigation camera.
Robot Vacuum Cleaner Brands
iRobot is an American company that was one of the first companies to manufacture robots for cleaning. Its first model Roomba appeared on the market back in the early 2000s, and it also first entered the Russian market. We can say with confidence that any of their models work as a clock, the mechanism has been worked out with many years of experience. The disadvantage is the pricing policy of this company.
iClebo – South Korean brand, which appeared in mid-2014 and in Russia, quickly began to gain popularity among buyers. The latest robot models of this brand are distinguished by a wide range of functions combined with a fairly democratic price. The production is in the home country.
Neato Robotics is a company based in the Silicon Valley, but its production is in China. The variety of models is not very large, in fact they differ only in small differences in design and collation.
xRobot is a cheap brand originally from China, which produces its products under a number of other names: Qwikk, LRobot and Clever & Clean. Attracts people at a low price, but can not boast of a decent quality.